Khan Academy is an online math, science and humanities resource available free to anyone. The Web site includes hundreds of videos on topics from Adding Whole Numbers to Probability, Big Bang Introduction to Introduction to Gravity, Monet’s Water Lilies to Rembrandt’s Self-Portrait, and the Vietnam War to the Electoral College.
See 60 Minutes piece on Khan Academy.
Although you can have a self-contained learning experience on the Khan Academy’s Web site, the Bethel School District sees the Khan Academy not as a substitute for classroom teaching and learning, but as a valuable additional resource for both teachers and students. Teachers might use a video in place of a chapter in the text book or a lecture. Students can use Khan Academy to review materials they don’t quite understand or learn a skill or concept that was taught while they were absent or not paying attention.
It is important to match the videos with your students’ skills/knowledge and to the curriculum you are delivering. Check the videos for both accuracy and student engagement before making them available.
The workshop on August 20, 2014 will focus on these topics:
1. How to navigate the site and find resources.
2. Evaluate the quality and accuracy of the content of Khan Academy.
3. Learn ways of making videos available to students.
4. Share how these resources can be used at your grade level and with your curriculum.
5. Demonstrate how videos can be embedded into your WordPress site.
As you think of more ideas for using Khan Academy in your classroom, leave a comment. Or if you just have an opinion or question, let us hear from you.
Addendum: Here’s a rather pointed critique of Khan Academy that gives a different perspective.
Lining up columns of information in a WordPress post or page can be frustrating. Using the plugin WP Table Reload is a slick and easy to way to create professional looking tables that can hold data, images, links or any combination of those items.
Here’s an example of how you can embed a Khan Academy video into your WordPress site:
1. Find the video on the Khan Academy site and right click on it and select “copy embed html”.
2. Create a new WordPress post and paste the copied embed code into the post with the HTML tab selected.
3. Adjust the height and width of the video by changing those values in the html code.