The WordPress plugin ShowTime puts a slide show into your WordPress post or page. First make sure you have Adobe Flash installed and updated on your computer (http://www.adobe.com). Once you are sure you have Adobe Flash installed and updated, follow these steps:
1. Click on Plugins in the Dashboard and activate ShowTime.
2.Create a new post (or a page). Let’s try a post.
3. Give it a title and then in the edit window type.
Feeding the Slide Show
4. In the editor click the button Add an Image. Now, Select Files to upload. Do this one at a time until you have four or five images in the gallery.
5. Next, click the tab gallery at top of the screen. Now you should see all images attached to the current page. The gallery allows you to edit the title and caption attributes, change the order or delete an image file.
6. Save changes at the bottom of the window and then click to Publish the post or page or Preview post or page. You should see the slides come up one at time in your WordPress post.
7. You can go back to the Dashboard under Media and click on ShowTime Slide Show to change the size of the slide show screen, the style of transition between slides, the time between slide changes and much more.
Akismet is a WordPress plugin that helps eliminate spam. It is free to individual users. Follow these steps to install:
1. In your dashboard click on the Plugins heading then on Plugins just below it.
2. Find Akismet in the list of plugins and click on Activate just below the name.
3. Above the plugins list click on “Akismet is almost ready. You must enter your Akismet API key for it to work.”
4. On the Akismet Configuration page click on Akismet.com to request a Akismet key.
5. At the Akismet home page, click on “Sign up” in this sentence: “Personal site Need access for your personal site? Sign up and pay what you want ($0-$120).”
6. On the next screen move the slider to $0 and enter the information requested.
7. Click on “Continue” and you’ll see a screen telling you that an email has been sent with your Akismet key.
8. Copy the key from your email and paste it into the field on the Akismet Configuration page.
9. Click on “Update Options”.
There is nothing else to do but let Akismet do its work of eliminating WordPress spam.
It is small and doesn’t take up much space and it has just a simple function. But that’s what makes Press This typical of the great things coming out of the WordPress community:
“Press This is a bookmarklet: a little app that runs in your browser and lets you grab bits of the web. Use Press This to clip text, images and videos from any web page. Then edit and add more straight from Press This before you save or publish it in a post on your site. Drag-and-drop the Press This link to your bookmarks bar or right click it and add it to your favorites for a posting shortcut.”
You’ll find Press This on your Dashboard > General > Writing
Here’s how to add a photo (or any image) gallery to a WordPress post or page:
1. Create a new post or page.
2. Enter text if there is a story that will accompany the photos.
3. Place the cursor where you’d like the photo gallery to appear. In this example we’ll place four images across the post (or four columns) and below this text Press Enter to put the cursor on a line by itself.
4. Next click on the Add Image icon at the top of the post window.
5. Select the tab where your images are located. In this case they are on my computer.
6. Hold the control key down and select the images (two to as many as you want). Click Open.
7. Once images load, click on Show next to each image if you wish to add a caption or edit the picture.
8. Set the number of gallery columns and click on Save.
9. Publish the post. The results should look something like this: