Setting up Akismet
Akismet is a WordPress plugin that helps eliminate spam. It is free to individual users. Follow these steps to install:
1. In your dashboard click on the Plugins heading then on Plugins just below it.
2. Find Akismet in the list of plugins and click on Activate just below the name.
3. Above the plugins list click on “Akismet is almost ready. You must enter your Akismet API key for it to work.”
4. On the Akismet Configuration page click on Akismet.com to request a Akismet key.
5. At the Akismet home page, click on “Sign up” in this sentence: “Personal site Need access for your personal site? Sign up and pay what you want ($0-$120).”
6. On the next screen move the slider to $0 and enter the information requested.
7. Click on “Continue” and you’ll see a screen telling you that an email has been sent with your Akismet key.
8. Copy the key from your email and paste it into the field on the Akismet Configuration page.
9. Click on “Update Options”.
There is nothing else to do but let Akismet do its work of eliminating WordPress spam.