ADA Compliance: Step 1
Bethel is in the beginning stages of making all our Websites ADA compliant. This will involve a lot of behind-the-scenes work; but it also will depend on you, the Bethel WordPress user, to maintain compliance.
Although there are multiple things you will be doing for compliance, let’s begin with an easy task you can start doing right now. To make your Website ADA compliant, you’ll need to ensure that all images you use have Alt Text. Alternative Text helps someone with a visual disability to discern an image if they are using a screen reader.
Here’s how to add Alt Text to an existing image on your site:
- Login to your site and navigate to the Dashboard.
- Click on Media in the left-hand sidebar.
- Select an image by clicking on it.
- At the right next to “Alt Text” type in the description (e.g., “Big red apple” or “Two fourth graders practicing math facts.”)
- Click the X in the upper right of the window and you are done.
More news and help on ADA compliance over the next few months. Questions? Enter a comment below.