This Is Your Year To Explore Possibilities
Freshman Year is your best time to explore things that are interesting to you. By taking a variety of classes and applying yourself to your studies, you’ll begin to lay a solid foundation upon which scholarships, college and career possibilities will be built. Don’t limit yourself to just in-school experiences. This year, you’ll have plenty of time to join or start clubs, to volunteer in meaningful ways, and to find out what YOU are about!
- At the first of the year, create or revisit your four-year plan for high school classes.
- Do your best in all class work.
- Establish strong study habits and time management skills. If you haven’t already done so, develop study habits that make passing your proficiencies easier: take notes during class and review them before the class meets again (click here for ideas about how to take notes that work for YOU), read and re-read course materials, ask your teacher for help if you don’t understand something, take advantage of after and in-school tutoring, form study groups, and get in the habit of doing at least one thing each night to prepare for your classes the next school day. If you need help, seek it out before things feel overwhelming.
- Participate in student/parent career planning opportunities.
- Allow time to read newspapers, magazines, and books. Reading different types of literature better prepares you for placement and entrance exams for college & career.
- Enjoy School! This is a time when you are developing as a student and a person.
- Use the library.
- Visit the College & Career Center. Start your C&C portfolio.
- Pursue extracurricular activities. Join or start a club.
- Evaluate your college-financing plan.
- In the spring, review your curriculum plan. Ensure that your scheduling requests for sophomore year meet your career/education goals.
There are tons of volunteer and career exploration opportunities that come through the College & Career Center every year, so check in with Mrs. Cameron often to see what’s new. Also be sure to listen to the morning announcements and/or sign up for Instant Email Notifications to stay up to date with the most current news. (Type your email in the box at the top right-hand side of this website’s Home page and click “Subscribe”. Then watch your email for the confirmation link, and click back to verify you want to receive C&CC messages.) Oh, and there are scholarships available for freshmen, too! Check with Mrs. Cameron about how to parlay your fun this year into money for your future.
Remember to also check out this site for a fun and informative checklist into how to kick-start your college and career plans: http://www.knowhow2go.org/, too.