We’ll be adding to this section frequently, but for now let’s start with a suggestion from the Fall 2010 issue of Peace Health’s Update Journal:
Getting Ready For (mostly) Independent Health Care
1) Schedule and follow-through with a pre-college health exam from your family doctor.
2) Select a good doctor in your new location.
3) Check with your parents to see if you’ll be covered under their health insurance plan, and be sure you understand how to file health and prescription claims. You’ll need a wallet-sized insurance verification card to present to health-care providers when you access your health care.
4) List all your important medical information on a wallet-sized card, too, including medication, allergies and/or past major medical events.
5) Verify your immunizations are up to date. Vaccines recommended for college include tetanus-diphtheria, hepatitis, meningitis and influenza.