Dear Parents and Families,
I hope you enjoyed the snow and family time this week! Please look for information either in Friday folders or in the homework section of portfolios! The Iditaread starts today. Students have a packet that will be coming home today. There is also a note about the 4th grade performance that has ben rescheduled for March 6th at 7:00. Students need to be here at 6:45.
THE IDITAREAD IS HERE!
We are getting ready to celebrate the third year of the IDITAREAD at home reading competition at Irving. This coincides with the Iditarod race in Alaska, and buddy teams of Irving students will be racing against one another. The challenge is to see which team can cross the finish line first! The competition runs March 1 through March 15. Attached to this paper are the slips that you will send back DAILY indicating the minutes your child has read that day. Please pay attention to the dates on the slips. Here are the rules and procedures for the race.
- The team minutes will be averaged by the number of members on your team.
- There are 10 checkpoints in the race. Teams will advance based on a percentage of participation. First graders are expected to read 20 minutes a night, and 30 minutes a night for grades 2-5.
- NO late slips will be counted. They must be returned the following day and signed by an adult.
- Maps with team progress will be displayed and updated daily. Each team will have a unique color and name. We will also give updates on the morning announcements.
- The winning team will earn a pizza party.
- Have fun and let the reading begin!
March 15th: No school Report card day
March 20th: PTO meeting 6:30