March 1, 2016

Today we will transition over to studying Hamlet. Hamlet is one of Shakespeare’s most well-known plays. Before beginning our study of the text, however, we are going to spend a day learning about Shakespeare. Scholars have studied and analyzed Shakespeare’s life–both because his works have greatly influenced Western culture, but also because there are few writers to rival his genius.

You were given the wiki assignment as a hard copy and will write your portions and do your research on Chromebooks today. After you have prepared your selection, cut and paste it into this document:

Shakespeare Wiki

NOTE: Make sure that your section ends up in the correctly place in the wiki. Look at the topic headings found on your folder to make sure that you are editing the wiki correctly. Only move fully edited selections over to the wiki! Edit your citations in your own document as well before moving them over!

The second part of the assignment you will complete in the comment section below. In the last ten to fifteen minutes of class, you will read part of the wiki (choose topics that sound interesting), and add a comment to the bottom of this post that includes THREE complete sentences telling what you found interesting.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to March 1, 2016

1. Cole Stuller says:

Did not know that few plays were written because they were forbidden due to the long plagues. Shakespeare’s greatness was often taken for granted. Did not know that Shakespeare had assistance in coming up from the bottom by printer Richard Field.

Cole S and Trenton K

2. Gage says:

What I found interesting was that when he lived in London his family lived in Stratford. I also found it funny how the town was as big as the school. It is also nice that he was buried in his hometown.

3. Hannah says:

1) There was a civil war going on during his time of life

2) Shakespeare was married

3) He was the 3rd of 8 children

4. Bryce F. says:

I learned that Shakespeare had the second biggest house in England besides the queen in his time period, and that he died on his birthday. Also during Shakespeare’s time period all citizens believed that the social ranks were created by God not by the wealthy monarchs.

5. Garret Frerichs says:

I learned that William Shakespeare was the 3rd of 8 children. Also, I learned that Shakespeare lived during a time in which there was a great civil war going on between king Henry VII and king Edward IV. At the age of 18, Shakespeare married to Anne Hathaway.

6. Chris Steiner says:

One thing I found interesting is that the people of Shakespeare’s time thought that God created all social ranks. This would mean that you are stuck where you are in life, but Shakespeare ended up becoming great so he was an exception. Another thing I found interesting was that at the time they believed the earth was the center of the universe. I found it interesting that they made that assumption when they didn’t even know where the universe started or ended. Another interesting Shakespeare fact I found was that he actually died the same day as his birthday.

7. Cody C says:

1. Surprised that the beliefs of many Catholics were of high influence in the plays even though Shakespeare had no reported religious beliefs.
    2. Shakespeare had a theater named after him.
    3. Shakespeare had taken 2000 hours of schooling per year.

8. Brandon M says:

After reading the Shakespeare wiki I learned that he included how he felt about the English government in his plays. He would portray their faults and blunders as a government to draw attention to what they’re doing. Secondly, I learned about how when Shakespeare started he did not seem like anything special. Finally, I learned about how Shakespeare’s plays were designed and written for more-education people

9. Peter haag says:

-shakesperes a catholic
    -his plays are based on religous belifes
    -he completed schooling by age 7

10. Jonathon Sifuentes says:

I learned that in 1594 Shakespeare was an established member of Lord Chamberlain’s company.

11. Ashton says:

1.Shakespeare was the third of 8 children where 2 had died before he was born.
    2.He learned the basics of reading and writing from an ABC book at the age of five to seven.
    3.The start of Shakespeare’s theatrical career is unknown.

12. Jessica Williams says:

Shakespeare grew up in a time in which there was a great civil war going on between king Henry VII and king Edward IV. Shakespeare’s religion was unclear, but is believed to have been Catholic. Shakespeare was the third of eight children, but the two children before him had died.

13. Kelsey Meng says:

One thing I didn’t know about Shakespeare before this blog post was that Shakespeare spent a total of 2,000 hours in school per year. I also learned that Shakespeare had siblings, and that he was the oldest due to two sisters passing away before him. Lastly, I learned that no one was absolutely sure of Shakespeare’s religion, but many believed him to be either Catholic or Protestant.

14. Bryce s says:

I learned that Shakespeare made 38 plays in 25 years.

I learned that Shakespeare married when he was 18 to a woman who is 8 years elder.

I learned that Shakespeare made many of his plays after situations that happened in real life.

15. Lisa sisseck says:

The queen later let Shakespeare and his crew perform their plays anywhere in england. He was also an established member of Lord Chamberlain’s company. He was born to a large family, who had 8 children but twonof whom died not to long after birth.

16. Dillon Outka says:

I didn’t know that William Shakespeare was as de fixated to being Catholic as he was.
    I also didn’t know that William Shakespeare’s play were based upon religion.
    And finally I didn’t that William Shakespeare was as intelligent and he was

17. Skyler W. says:

Shakespeare’s father is believed to be Catholic.
    Shakespeare was the 3rd of 8 children, yet the 2 before him died before he was born.
    Shakespeare owned 10% of the globe theater, the biggest in London
    -Skyler W.

18. kai Ellis says:

Something I never knew was that we didn’t know Shakespeare’s religion, that his pieces were influenced by different eras, and how he didn’t blindly follow the monarchy and some of his pieces told of there mistakes.

Kai Ellis

19. Tanner G says:

I never knew that the woman roles were often played by men or young men. Found that interesting

20. Cassidy Calvert says:

I learned that people have theories that Shakspeare never wrote any plays, that Shakspeare was very gifted at a young age, and that the theater he held the performances at didn’t have a roof.

21. Taylor Green says:

Shakespeare went dark for 7 years where no one knows where he went thiugh there are therories. These include him being an apprentice at stanford to being a butcher. His plays where shown in one of the first theaters to open since the roman times. As well as he didnt have any college education to be proven.

22. Keri Gilbert says:

I found it interesting how many people went to Shakespeare’s plays for religious education. Hardly any one could read so these plays were there only resource. This therefore was their only proof of fact on religion and so they had to believe what they were told.

23. Justin Campbell says:

I learned that Shakespeare was born the 3rd of 8 children. He also purchased the second largest home in Stratford, England. During this time there was also a civil war going on between Henry VII and Edward IV. This war was called the War of the Roses.

24. chris colmenares says:

I did not know much about the social and economic background of Shakespeare’s time. The religious and political background as well I didn’t know much about. I don’t really know much about Shakespeare in the first place, I didn’t know about lord chamberlain’s men or the globe theatre. I am glad I got to learn more of Shakespeare’s background and what went on during his time.

25. Alexis says:

Things I didn’t know
    1. Shakespeare was so rich he purchased the second largest home in Stratford.
    2. I had known how religious people were but I didn’t know that in the play hamlet people in the audience didn’t suspect if the ghost was real but if the ghost was there to help him or not.
    3. Due to his father’s financial problems Shakespeare ended his education at age 14.

26. Jordin Valdez says:

One thing I didn’t know is that Shakespeare got married at 18 years old to Anne who was 8 years older then him in 1582. I also didn’t know that he had 3 children, Susanna who was born shortly after they got married, and their twins Hamnet and Judith who were born in 1585. Another thing i didn’t know is that from 1608-1610 the playhouse was forced to close because of the plague.

27. Haley says:

Something I didn’t know about Shakespeare was that during his life time everyone believed in God, but they also believed that God only blessed those who where deserving of his blessings. Another thing I learned was that some people believed his plays and poems had a secret message hidden in them dealing with religion. The last thing I learned was that Shakespeare got married when he was 18 years old, and throughout his marriage he had three children that he eventually ended up leaving.

28. Anthony Richcreek says:

The first thing I learned was that people back then would dress based on their social class.

The second thing I learned was that some of Shakespeare’s plays were based off true events, such as Lancaster and York.

The third thing I learned was that in the 1530s John Bales, King Johan, was the first play about history.

29. Juan Garcia Lopez says:

One of the three things that I thought were interesting was how Shakespeare was the third out of 8 children that his mother had. The two kids before him passed away. Another thing is that Shakespeare was born in Stratford-upon-Avon in Englad. At the time only about 1,500 people lived in this little town. The last thing is that he was born in a poor family and only continued school till about he was 14 years of age because he had to help his father with financial problems. This only let him have a total of 7 years of formal education.

30. Katie b. says:

I found it interesting that many people believe that Shakespeare may have been Catholic considering the discrimination of Catholicism following Henry VIII. Another fact that was surprising was how Shakespeare’s plays were such a success despite theaters being closed due to the plague outbreak. It is amazing how he was able to get his works published and recognized by using personal connections.

31. Hunter Clements says:

Three things that I have learned about Shakespeare is that at age 14 he had to stop his education because of financial problems. He was married in 1582 to Anne Hathaway at age 18. He had twins with Anne Hathaway and named them Hamnet and Judith.

32. Alyssa Gayle says:

While I was reading over all the things about Shakespeare, the qualities about him that I found that was most interesting was the fact that he was not an only child, yet he had 7 brothers and sisters. Another is about his education as a young teenager. I’m sure it was hard for him to hear that he couldn’t continue his education because he father couldn’t pay for it financially. Lastly, it’s hard for me to believe that all of this incredible work that he’s done all started out of an ABC book.

33. Anthony Hernandez says:

I found it quite interesting that there was hardly any recognition of his non-play works. His other works of literature, such as #18(arguably his most renowned sonnet) and 130, played a large part in telling the world what state of mind he was in when writing them. Not only did they tell of his life experiences, but they also provided some commentary on the state of literature at the time, such as the manner that sonnet 130 was a satirical work that ridiculed the general use of sonnets at the time.

34. Jessica H. says:

I learned that at the age of 18, Shakespeare got married to Anne Hathaway. Shakespeare was probably a Protestant since Elizabeth I was ruling at the time. Shakespeare was a member of Lord Chamberlain’s company where he used to act and write plays for.

35. Josh Denson says:

One thing that caught my attention was Shakespeare’s family, Shakespeare himself was the third child born but after one year he was the oldest child. Another thing i found interesting was that Shakespeare disappeared shortly after his wife gave birth to twins. When Shakespeare’s career started, I found it interesting that tickets to watch his plays only cost a few pennies at the time.

36. Connor Drath says:

I learned that Shakespeare had 5 siblings, I learned his best work was performed at a great playhouse called “the globe” and I learned that Shakespeare’s religious beliefs are unknown but he was believed to be either Protestant or Catholic

37. Elijah Castellon says:

Shakespeare grew up in a time of conflict between two factions which I’m sure he had biases about which helped create plays. Another interesting notion is that during his time it was heavily socially ranked, but since Shakespeare wrote terrific plays where did he lie in the ranking system? Also during that era people stated that ‘Earth’ was the center of the universe, Shakespeare I believe it said in the blog that he wrote about this in Hamlet.

38. Juan Mejia says:

The seven dark years really caught my attention, how can someone famous around that time just go missing for seven years? It really shows that Shakespeare really had a deep passion for writing although we don’t know what he did during these seven years it must of been something good. Shakespeare’s family was really big but most of his siblings died , another thing I found interesting was that he married at a young age.

39. Patrick McGarry says:

I found it very interesting to learn that nobody knows what had happened to him for 7 years. It’s very abnormal for there to be no proven records of somebody’s existence for that long of a time. This is something I’d like to learn more about and look into different theories that could make more sense of this.

40. Andres Pena says:

The class made wiki page is quite extensive, but the few things that caught my eye were that he was born in England! Believe it or not I always thought he was from some other European country. Another fact the caught my eye was that he was presumably Catholic. The last thing that I didn’t know was that he didn’t travel or “tour” with his family until he retired.

41. Javier Santana says:

One thing I didn’t know was that he five siblings. Another fact that I didn’t know aas that he was born in England. Lastly, I never knew he was married. He got married at the age of 18 to Anne Hathaway.

42. Alondra duran says:

I learned that it was unclear what shakespeare’s religion was. He was thought to be Catholic, or a Protestant. I also learned that William Shakespeare was the 3rd of 8 children, with 2 born before him that had died in infancy. I as well learned about Shakespeare education. He would have had school from six o’clock in the morning to five o’clock in the evening, spending a total of 2,000 hours per year in school. He was thought to have studied grammar, writing, ancient writers, and recited Latin.