Why: We believe in having fun, working hard, and continuously improving.
Who: Bethel Students willing to focus, learn, and have fun in a positive environment.
When: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 4:00-5:30pm
Where: Willamette HS upstairs of the East gym (Plan to practice with other clubs on various days)
The coaches at Willamette are excited about the wrestlers participation. All of our returning athletes are staying active this spring. Some are in attendance everyday for Freestyle/Greco, and others are able to stop in from time to time while being active in other sports.
Great work Willamette Wrestlers and good luck this spring in whatever you may be doing!
“Freestyle and Greco State Championships” 2011
Willamette had 5 Wolverines competing in the 2011 “Freestyle and Greco State Championships”: JR Pascual, Russell Pascual, Jonathan Corliss, Joseph Jones, and Zac Julian. Each wrestler wrestled 4-10 matches each this weekend. The “Pascual” and “Jones” families were in attendance supporting and cheering on the Wolverines through both days of the tournament.
- JR Pascual: Finished 1 match away from placing in in both FR and GR. Coming into the tournament not feeling well, JR wrestled tough in more than a few matches. He continues to improve and plans to grow “big muscles” and eat a balanced healthy diet to help improve his success.
- Russell Pascual: Finished 5th in FR and 5th in GR. Russell wrestled well at this tournament. He wrestled multiple state placers, champs and finalists in his weight. Russell beat a few HS state placers, a state finalists multiple times, and lost 2 very close matches to very tough opponents.
- Jonathan Corliss: Did not place in either style. John is improving all of the time. If he maintains his level of improvement he could be a real force to reckon with next year.
- Joseph Jones: Joe placed 1st in FR and 3rd in GR. Joe wrestled well in FR and was not happy with how he finished in GR.
- Zak Julian: Went 0-2 in FR and placed 3rd in GR. Zak is not happy with how he finished, and he is working to improve his skills in a big way by next season.
Overall the wrestlers competed well and there was improvement as the tournament went on. Great work Wolverines! Your efforts come at a cost but in the end you will see that it is all worth it.
Thank you to all the wrestlers and parents for an awesome “Spring season”,
Coach S. Stockdale
“Battle at The Bay” 2011
Willamette had 4 Wolverines competing in the 2011 “Battle at The Bay”: JR Pascual, Russell Pascual, Jonathan Corliss, and Zac Julian. Each wrestler again wrestled 6-8 matches each.
The wrestlers wanted to finish higher, but they wrestled well and learned a great deal. As always, improvement is what matters.
- JR Pascual: Finished 3rd in Freestyle and 3rd in Greco
- Russell Pascual: Finished 2nd in FR and GR
- Jonathan Corliss: Finished 3rd in FR and GR
- Zak Julian: Finished 4th in FR and GR
Great work Wolverines, and good luck at Freestyle and Greco State on April 30th and May 1st!
“Mcminnville FR and GR Challenge” 2011
Willamette had 5 Wolverines in attendance at the 2011 “Mcminnville FR and GR Challenge”: JR Pascual, Joe Bendix, Russell Pascual, Joesph Judo Jones, and Zac Julian. Each wrestler in the tournament wrestled 6-8 matches total. This is more challenging, because during the regular High school season a wrestler is allowed a maximum of 5 matches a day.
Each wrestler entered the Freestyle and Greco tournaments at their respective weights. The Wolverines walked away with 6 individual gold medals, 2 Silver medals, and 2 Bronze medals.
- JR Pascual: He finished 3rd in Greco and 2nd in Freestyle.
- Joe Bendix: He finished 1st in Greco and 1st in Freestyle.
- Russell Pascual: He finished 1st in Greco and 2nd in Freestyle.
- Joseph Jones: He finished 1st in Greco and 1st in Freestyle.
- Zak Julian: He finished 1st in Greco and 3rd in Freestyle.
Great work Wolverines, and good luck at the “Battle at The Bay” April 16th!
“Culture Exchange” Tournament 2011
Willamette had 4 student athletes in attendance at the 2011 “Culture Exchange Trials” tournament. The winners of each weight in the tournament are given the opportunity to be on the “Culture Exchange Team” that travels to different countries every year. This year the team is traveling to Russia. There were 3 wrestlers competing and 1 wrestler with his parents supported the wrestlers competing.
- Russell Pascual: He wrestled at 135lb and was crowned the Champion of the tournament. In Russell’s 4 matches he only had 1 point scored on him and earned “technical falls” (he was ahead by enough points to end the round) in 3 of the matches. In this tournament Russel out scored his opponents 35-1. Russell has not yet decided if he plans to go on the trip to Russia this year.
- JR Pascual: He competed in what could have been the “toughest” weight class of the tournament. He competed at 125lbs. The 125lb weight class consisted of 2 state champions, 3 state finalists, and 7 state placers in total (JR was one of the state placers). JR faced Arron Lorenz of Eagle point HS in the first round (They met once before in the finals of districts where JR lost a close 6-4 match). Their match was very close this time around as well. JR won the first round 3-1, lost the second round 6-3, and lost the third round 6-3. In his second match he faced the 119lb State Champion from Glide Oregon (Walker Damewood). JR lost the first round of this match in the last seconds by a score of 2-1, and lost the second round 1-0.
- Zak Julian: Standing at 6 foot 7 inches Mr. Julian competed at the 285lb weight class. Zak lost a close first round match. He won his second match by winning 2 of the 3 rounds. He lost the first round of his second match and battled back to win the next 2. He lost a close 3rd round match.
- Joe Benidx: He was not able to compete due to being sick the week before the tournament. Joe and his family came to the tournament and cheered on his teammates who were competing for the “top spot”.
Great work Willamette Wrestlers, thank you to all the family supporters in attendance, and Good luck at the “Mcminnville FR and GR Challenge“!