About Ms. Leona

I graduated with a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Oregon in 2000 and received my Masters in Teaching degree from Pacific University in Eugene in 2003.

After getting my master’s I taught a K/1 blended class in Mt. Angel, Oregon for 2 years.  It was part of a bilingual program and I taught native Spanish speakers core academic content in Spanish.

I became part of the Bethel family in 2006, initially teaching English Language Development at Prairie Mountain School.  In 2012 I went to Irving Elementary School and was there for 2 years (taught kindergarten and 3rd grade) before coming here in 2014.

In my free time I love spending time with my family (I have 2 children ages 5 and 8), going on outdoor adventures, traveling, reading, gardening, playing music and teaching.  Did I say I love teaching?  I LOVE it! One of my favorite hobbies is finding new and exciting ways to engage kids in meaningful and inspiring ways.  It is so rewarding to see the sparks of joy in children and the amazing progress that occurs as they learn.

Thomas and Julia at the McKenzie River

Thomas and Julia at the McKenzie River

Hiking to Boca Cave

Hiking to Boca Cave with our dog Pete